- Category : Humanities+Social-Sciences-Historian
- Type : MGE
- Profile : 4/6 - Opportunistic / Role Model
- Definition : Split - Small (6,22,36)
- Incarnation Cross : RAX Planning 3
- Birth Year: 1949
- Birthday: 01. September
- Birthplace: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Profile: 4-6
- Type: Emotional Manifesting Generator
- Inc.Cross: Planning 3
- Definition: Double Split - Small (6,22,36)
- Variables: BRL-MLL
- 3740 Community
- 1648 The Wavelength
- 1858 Judgment
- 0952 Concentration
Scottish military historian, well known for his work on the administration of the British Army and the history of the First World War. He is Chichele Professor of the History of War at All Souls College, Oxford, a brigadier of reserves, and a council member of the Royal Company of Archers, the Queen's Bodyguard for Scotland.
Since 2004, he has been director of the Oxford Programme on the Changing Character of War, and has published a series of important articles on strategy, as well as editing books which have arisen from the project. He is a member of the Academic Advisory Panel of the Royal Air Force Centre for Air Power Studies. In addition, he is on the Chief of the Defence Staff's strategic advisory panel, the UK Defence Academy Advisory Board.
He was knighted in the 2013 New Year Honours for services to the Ministry of Defence. On 20 May 2014, Strachan was appointed as Lord Lieutenant of Tweeddale.