- Category : Entertain-Music-Instrumentalist
- Type : MGE
- Profile : 2/4 - Hermit / Opportunist
- Definition : Triple Split
- Incarnation Cross : RAX The Vessel of Love 2
- Birth Year: 1937
- Birthday: 21. June
- Birthplace: Prague, Czech Republic
- Category: Entertain-Music-Instrumentalist
- Profile: 2-4
- Type: Emotional Manifesting Generator
- Inc.Cross: The Vessel of Love 2
- Definition: Triple Split
- Variables: BLR-MRL
- 0515 Rhythm
- 3536 Transistoriness
- 4764 Abstraction
- 1034 Exploration
- 2461 Awareness
A cellist, Raphael was one of only a handful of children to survive Theresienstadt concentration camp. He is the only son of the supercentenarian Alice Herz-Sommer. He was sent to the camp with his parents in July 1943; a year later, his father, Leopold, was moved to Dachau, where he died six weeks before it was liberated. Mother and son were billeted in a narrow room with 16 other inmates, but fortunately remained together.
After the war, they reached Israel. A succession of prizes and outstanding debut performances, followed by a season with Rudolf Serkin at the Marlboro festival in Vermont, consolidated his reputation. In 1967, a parallel career as a highly respected teacher began when Raphael took over the cello department of the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester. In 1989, he became professor at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, in London, as well as a judge of international competitions.
He died 13 November 2001.