Marlene Moeschke Poelzig
- Category : 1894-births
- Type : GP
- Profile : 3/5 - Martyr / Heretic
- Definition : Triple Split
- Incarnation Cross : RAX Laws 3
German sculptor, interior designer and architect also known for her craft projects, tombs and furniture designs. In 1919 she was instrumental in converting a former Berlin market hall into a large playhouse for Max Reinhardt. Moeschke-Poelzig was also heavily involved in the design of the interior of the Haus des Rundfunks, the lamps in the foyer survive to this day.
After training as a sculptor at the Hamburg School of Arts and Crafts (1914-1916) and working at the Munich School of Arts and Crafts (1916-1917), she received a studio scholarship from the Prussian Academy of Arts in Berlin (1917-1918).
In the Spring of 1918 at an event of the Berlin Secession, she met the architect Hans Poelzig, with whom she was to share a close artistic partnership until his death in 1936. The artistic couple also shared a passion for film and theatre. In 1924, Marlene Moeschke became Hans Poelzig's second wife. In 1920-1921 they founded the Poelzig construction studio together.
In 1923 the first of the couple's three children was born. In 1930 the family moved into the studio and apartment building designed by Marlene Moeschke-Poelzig at Tannenbergallee 28, Berlin-Westend. The house had an enclosed area for the children. The Berlin Landesdenkmalamt decided in 1990 against monument protection for the house because it had been partly redesigned and rebuilt in 1954. In April 2020, a petition was started on change.org to save the house from impending demolition and for inclusion in the Berlin list of monuments.
After her husband's death in 1936, Marlene Moeschke-Poelzig continued to work alone but in 1937 she had to stop under pressure from the NSDAP (Nazi party). She sold her house, left Berlin and lived in Hamburg again in the last part of her life, dying there on 14 March 1985 at age 90.